Built about 1721 by Samuel Horton and passed to Samuel Purdy about 1730,
this house remained in the Purdy Family until 1869. Jacob Purdy was Samuel’s son who joined the Westchester Militia in 1775 serving until the end of the American Revolution.
The original farm was 132 acres and the house itself stood on Spring Street at the foot of Purdy Hill then called the Dobbs Ferry Road, (now the hill where Park Avenue and Church Street are located). The farm spread from the Bronx River to Main Street, northeast to Broadway, then over the now Church Street Hill - Park Avenue (Purdy Hill).
The most incredibly significant fact about Jacob Purdy House is the use of it by General George Washington as his Headquarters during the Battle of White Plains in 1776 and a second visit in 1778.
By the early 1900's the farm had been broken up and the house was being used as a multi-family. It was in extremely deteriorated condition and slated for destruction in 1961 by the Urban Renewal Agency during the re-construction of downtown White Plains.
The Battle of White Plains Monument Committee, led by Al Cerak, was able to raise sufficient money to purchase the house in 1963. It took over ten years, but eventually money was acquired for land and proposed park as the new home of Purdy House.
On August 9, 1977, the sad little house was moved from Spring Street, where it had sat for almost 250 years, to its present location at 60 Park Avenue overlooking the downtown. Interestingly, the House sits on property that was once part of the original Purdy Farm, as well as the camp of General Israel Putnam’s troops during the Battle of White Plains.
In 1979 the House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and through grants and donations the house was finally rehabilitated and dedicated on November 2, 1986.
The Purdy House is currently under the care of the White Plains Historical Society and tours can be arranged by calling 422-1776.